Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Insha'Allah - God Willing


I hear this term, Insha'Allah (I hope I'm spelling this right - thanks Wikipedia!) multiple times throughout the day. In the most common terms I understand it to mean "God willing".

In context: "Cory and I will make it to Egypt and back without having to cross through Israel and get a stamp in our passport so Kuwait will let us back in the country, Insha'Allah."

My students use it when referring to getting good grades. Mmmm. . . I think it has more to do with you putting in effort and studying than God's Will, but good luck just the same.

Ah the beautiful sites of Salmiya. I finally got a chance to take an 'up-close' photo of the infamous neon palm tree. We had an outing (to the coffee shop) in the middle of the week. I know. . .don't get crazy. You can see the fine pieces of dust flying about in the air. I can't figure out how to not pick that up on my camera with every photo I take here.


More cab debacles We have had some bad luck with cabs this week. After our experience at the mall, I didn't think it could get worse. Cory, Emily and I all leave the apartment each morning at 8:45 to catch a cab to school. It's never difficult to locate a cab. But, as I've said in earlier posts, you never know what might pull up. Here are two more examples:


1. Driver on Tuesday was still smoking when he pulled up. Didn't put out the cigarette. The ceiling of his cab was "pimped out" with hanging tassels. Very classy.
2. Driver on Wednesday rolled up with the windows down. He kept them down. No AC for this dude. He beeped his horn approximately every 10 seconds which prevented me from carrying on a conversation with either Emily or Cory. However, he did manage to hack a nice amount of phlegm into his throat and spit it out the window as we were speeding down the street. I had the lucky chance to be sitting right behind him.


Who knows what tomorrow might bring!


Final days of class
A student stopped by my office today to give me something. I was expecting some cookies, possibly some more chocolates. No, nothing edible. He hands me a large, full folder. Inside I find all kinds of "propaganda" on the religion of Islam. I was a little surprised. Coming from my most visibly conservative student, I should not have been. He proceeds to engage me in conversation about having a future conversation about Islam, etc. Meanwhile Cory is sitting quietly in the corner (probably trying not to laugh). I politely tell him I will be glad to read it and meet with him for discussion when I get back from Jordan. (I did manage to read the one brochure acknowledging Jesus.) I give this student credit. He wants to share his culture and something important to him, and I hope to learn more in return. I can't help but wonder if he sees me as this heathen of a liberal, Christian woman? Not going to judge his motives just yet, but will definitely keep you all posted on the future meeting.

Today was the second to last day of class. Nine of my students were giving their persuasive presentations. Being the nice teacher I am, I let them choose their own topics that didn't have to be school or academically related. I knew this would bring out the finest in their creativity and boy was I right!

Topics ranged from the conspiracy theories of "9/11 was something the U.S. Government planned" to "Man never landed on the moon". Let's say they might have been judged a bit harshly on the credibility factor, but entertainment was well worth it.

Not knowing it, I saved the best presentation for last. The topic was "Against segregation Kuwait universities". Our speaker delivered a not-so-great speech, but my oh my did the question period get heated! It was great to see my students get so passionate about something they did (or did not) believe in. I only had two who were in favor of the conservative view to segregate males and females in higher education. After about fifteen minutes of heated conversation and arguing, I took lead of the class again. In hindsight, I wonder if I should have put a cap on the discussion, but feel that it was therapeutic and healthy for them to be able to share their feelings and make their voices heard. For the first time, I felt sorry for these students. I empathize with their frustration, but yet I get to return home to a country and place where my voice and many voices have the power to be heard and the power to change something. They shared their feelings of powerlessness and lack of control over the situation and others.

Here's the thing. Most of these students choose to come to school at our university because it is based on the American model. It is more liberal than the other in the country. They are choosing how they want to pursue their education. By having mandates put upon them over the past two years (that's how long this "new" policy has been back in place - previously it was not segregated) they feel as if they are being taken a step backwards in the country's progression. * Keep in mind, please, that I am generalizing my students comments and conversations with me.* However, I am glad they feel open enough to share this with me. Not that I'm an inspirational speaker, but I did pull out my best "WLC unlocking speech" today. In sum, I told them how proud I was of them as students (of public speaking) and how I hoped they would use their skills to make a difference, speak of change, and motivate others to take action in the future.

Experiencing the culture, first hand
Our American friend Amy had us over last night for our own personal, cultural experience. She owns two abayas which are the modest dress of women in this culture. We have seen several variations of modest attire, but the abaya is most common along with the hijab which is the scarf used as a head cover.


Please note in the following photos that we are not trying to disrespect the culture in any way. We did this in the privacy of her home to get the experience of what it feels like to wear, walk around, and function in such attire. We see it EVERY DAY at school and on the streets. We were seeking to understand what these women are experiencing on an every day basis.


In my own reflection, I will say I immediately felt as if my personality had been stripped from me. I didn't realize how much of me lies in my outside or physical appearance. I never thought I would say it, but it's true. Amy and Emily couldn't read my facial expressions or see my reactions. I didn't realize how much I depended on my non-verbal communication to depict my emotions and general dialogue. As I watched Emily, it was if she wasn't really there. I could hear her, but "real Emily" with her smile and expressions was hidden. I felt as if I couldn't use my hands as much to talk and gesture. It seems cliche to say, but I felt as if I had to act more conservatively in my actions. Without too much more, I will admit I could only keep it on for 5-7 minutes at most. It was hot and hard to breathe. In sum, I now have a greater appreciation and very small understanding of the women I see here. I'm looking forward to an entire class of them as I am sure to gain an even greater perspective.









No comments:

Post a Comment